After wearing it all day today, I'm pretty happy with the end result, although I think I do not like the box pleat in the front center of the skirt. Who wants extra fabric there?? Ugh. Next time, I I'll redraft the skirt pieces to skip the pleats, just an A-line skirt. I added cuffs to the sleeves - a plain hem seemed a bit homespun.
The fabric was cheap quilting cotton on sale from JoAnn's. Not my first choice for apparel, but since I was essentially making a muslin, it might as well be something I liked in case the dress did turn out ok! There are pockets in the side seams, but they kind of make the skirt poof out in an awkward way. Like I said, this is a test run, so not-perfect is ok with me!
Now to try this pattern with some ice blue lace! I'm thinking of changing the neckline into a V-neck because I find that more flattering. That will mean altering some seam placements and raising the back neckline. No skirt pleats, no pockets, and 3/4 sleeves, too. Hmm....some redrafting is in my future!