Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

For the Love of Letters - Happy Birthday

A little lettering practice on my son's birthday - happy birthday to my 14 yr old guy!


The start of a new year requires reflection and redirection for many. While I'm not a resolution person, I have been thinking long and hard about the direction for my art. What do I really love to do? Where do my strengths lie? What are my favorite pieces from last year? Flipping through my sketchbooks told me a lot. I discovered I really don't do well with watercolor. Acrylics have the strength of color I love. And lettering rose to the surface, no surprise. The designer in me will always love typography!

This year I want to work on my hand lettering, and part of that process includes using new materials. So I bought myself a new box of Crayola markers, the same kind I used decades ago when I was in grade school. I must admit, there was a bit of nostalgia involved while creating this piece!

I love a bit of birthday fun shortly after Christmas - it keeps the party going!

No comments: