Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Growing up

My littlest man read his first words yesterday: AT, MEN.

And so begins my fourth time through this adventure of teaching a child to read. I've learned a few things myself along the way. When a kid starts asking "what does c-h-e-e-r-i-o-s spell?" at the breakfast table, or with any other word they set their eyes on, it's a signal to me that they're read to dive in! Patience, and taking things in little bits is important, too. I've also learned that once they start, they will sound out any word they see, like when you're sitting at the stoplight and you hear your 5 yr old sounding out "h-ooooo-t-rrrr-s".

Which brings me to another part of this reading adventure - teaching kids that not everything in the world is really edifying to read.

For now we're taking big steps in conquering little words.

No comments: