Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Miss Madeline

Miss Madeline Dress
It's time to welcome spring: with COLOR!!! I just finished this super-easy dress for my daughter, and she loves it. The pattern is called "Miss Madeline" from The Handmade Dress. I've wanted to make a peasant style dress for a long time, but always felt a bit intimidated by the amount of elastic (and thus casings) that it involved. This pattern made it all very simple and pain-free! The directions claim it is a 2 hour pattern to sew, but realistically I think you need 3.
Miss Madeline Dress
The fabrics are mostly from a half-yard bundle of Mezzanine by Patty Young I picked up at the recent quilt show. I pieced the skirt instead of cutting the entire dress from a single fabric. I say the more colors and patterns, the merrier! The bodice is cut from Verna, by Kate Spain (leftover from my recent Verna baby quilt).
Miss Madeline Dress
All that elastic was great, because I could customize the fit. I made the largest size, 10. The neckline turned out way too low according to the pattern directions, so I just cinched up that elastic to where I wanted it before stitching it together. My daughter was very adamant that the waistband not be tight to her body, so we adjusted that accordingly as well. I cut the skirt longer for her super-long legs. She says it is very comfortable and easy to play in. I love her leggings and cowboy boot style - totally her!
I loved this pattern so much I plan to make another one, this time with long sleeves and adding a vintage tea towel as a faux-apron. I think she'd appreciate some pockets, too. Most kids are collectors, after all. :)

No comments: